高PR快排域名

November, 2018

Henry’s bulky service plan was no wastePoll

Cr Henry Meskauskas.
Nanjing Night Net

For 12 years Councillor Henry Meskasukas has pushed for a bulky waste collection servicebut each time he raisedthe idea, the proposalwasdumped.

This week however, he had a victory.

It has taken Cr Meskauskas three council terms to finally make some headway and at a council meeting this week he received support with a service possibly starting in July next year.

Council officers had recommended that council scrap the idea of a bulky goods collection service.

In a report officers said: “Council has considered the introduction of a bulky waste kerbside collection service on numerous occasions in the past.

“The significant cost associated with providing the service and also concerns regarding the negative impacts on the streetscape prevented the implementation of a bulky waste collection service to date.”

But during Tuesday’s council meeting councillors voted overwhelmingly in favour of Cr Meskauskas’ motion to give in principle support to an on call bulky waste service.“The vote was 12 to one in favour of my motion,” Cr Meskauskas said.

“Council will now workshop the plan over the next three months to discussmodels (on-call or zone-based),the typeof service that would best suit ratepayers and how the service would be funded, perhaps using tip vouchers as an option,” he said.

The on-callservice would be at the resident’s request where they wouldmake a booking by phone or on-line. A scheduled zone-based servicewould be divided into a number of zones whereby all households within a given areaare able to place bulky waste kerbside for collection at the same time.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

>>

Lindt cafe survivor finds her happy place

Lindt cafe siege survivor Louisa Hope has launched a new charity raising money for nurses.Lindt Cafe siege survivor Louisa Hope says she’s found a “happy place” in raising money for Australian nurses, including those who cared for her following the 2014 attack.
Nanjing Night Net

Ms Hope was taken hostage along with her mother and 16 others during the terrifying Sydney siege, which claimed the lives of cafe manager Tori Johnson and barrister Katrina Dawson.

She has since founded the Louisa Hope Fund for Nurses to benefit nursing staff at the Prince of Wales Hospital, so far raising about $180,000 to support six projects.

“It is indeed my most happy place to be involved with the nurses like this,” she told reporters at a Sydney function for the charity on Wednesday.

“It’s such a privilege for me – to find the opportunity to remind people to be hopeful and keep focused on progressing our world forward.”

Ms Hope spoke alongside Police Commissioner Mick Fuller at the function at the Parliament of NSW.

She spent three months in hospital recovering from shrapnel wounds from when police stormed the cafe at 2am on December 16 after gunman Man Haron Monis executed Mr Johnson. Ms Dawson, a mother of three, was fatally wounded by police bullet fragments.

More than three years on, Ms Hope says she’s feeling “happy and well in her heart”.

“I’m looking forward to improved health, but really focused around the future now,” she said.

“I’ve got a little list of post-siege concerns I’m working on.”

Ms Hope’s fund gives nurses the freedom to choose a research project or equipment and she says as soon as the money was put on the table, the ideas came “flooding in”.

“That said to me that they already knew what they wanted, all they needed was the funding.”

Mr Fuller said nurses can’t be thanked enough for the difficult jobs they do.

“We often talk about courage in policing and in defence, but there are many who show great courage every day in terms of protecting us in the community,” he said.

People who want to contribute to Ms Hope’s nurses’ fund can visit Prince of Wales Hospital fundraising site, www.powhf.org.au.

Australian Associated Press

>>

No division at Crows over AFL camp: Pyke

Adelaide coach Don Pyke dismissed talk that a pre-season camp left some Crows players distressed.Adelaide coach Don Pyke denies his AFL playing group is fractured over a challenging pre-season mindfulness camp.
Nanjing Night Net

Pyke says the Gold Coast camp in January has given his players a “sense of togetherness”, rubbishing reports some were distressed and complained to the AFL Players’ Association.

“This is a space we’re operating in: there’s a competitive advantage associated of what we’re doing,” Pyke told reporters on Wednesday.

“I’m not going to apologise for us trying to get better.

“The reality in our world is that training, whether it be physical or mental, there’s components within the program which are challenging.

“All we have done is taken our players and given them an opportunity to get better in the mental space.”

Adelaide captain Taylor Walker reportedly sent a group text wanting to find who leaked details of a camp designed for in-house keeping.

But Pyke rejected suggestions players were left distraught by the camp.

“That is not the reality we walk around with,” he said.

“We haven’t had any complaints from the PA. None or our players either before or after the camp have spoken to the AFLPA.

“And our internal discussions with our players is not flagging those things.”

The Crows went on the camp months after last year’s grand final loss to Richmond, a club which hailed the influence of its own mindfulness program in their premiership year.

“The majority of players walked away from the camp going ‘wonderful experience, got a lot out of it’,” Pyke said.

“And they’re able to now put that into their life and into their football.”

The mental activities “brought a sense of togetherness, brought a sense of vulnerability and allowed them to actually work on that space to make them better players”.

“The reality is, you don’t keep 100 per cent of the people happy 100 per cent of the time,” Pyke said.

The third-year Adelaide coach said the camp’s program was “well thought through … resourced with high quality people”.

“The mental space is a space which I think you’re seeing a fair chunk of the clubs actually working in,” he said.

“We have been in that space for a couple of years and the camp was an opportunity for us to get better.”

Australian Associated Press

>>

Brock Lamb is ready to make a point against Saints

Brock Lamb is ready to make a point against Saints Opportunity: An injury to Connor Watson has opened the door for Brock Lamb to make his starting debut this season when the Knights face the Dragons in Wollongong on Sunday. Picture: Darren Pateman/AAP
Nanjing Night Net

TweetFacebookNewcastle Heraldlast week as many as four rival clubs were interested in the young playmaker with the Knights yet to table an offer.

But while his current deal is up at the end of the season, there is no rush to settle his future.

“This might surprise a few people but to be brutally honest, I haven’t even really thought about the contract situation because I’m not really in any hurry,”he said.

“I’ve just left it in the hands of my manager because allthe advice I got from everyone was just to put it to one side, work and train really hard and let it take care of itself.

“We haven’t had too many conversations about it and I think that’s the right way to handle it. The olderboys have been good to sound out on that as well because a lot of them have been through it.

“I just feel the main thing for me is to concentrate on my footy and my performances and be consistent and let it take care of itself.”

>>

Most of the state on edge of drought: seasonal outlook

Most western graziers are still feeding stock with only hit and miss storms giving any hope. Cattle at “One Tree”, north of Broken Hill. Photo by Tennille SiemerThe majority of NSW is under drought watch or drought onset, with little hope for autumn planting rains in the next few weeks.
Nanjing Night Net

Aband of rain that fell on the weekend failed to add any hope for autumn plantings, with the central-west recording between 1-5mm.

Many farmers in the central-west were already “gun shy” after last year’s disappointing crops and frost damage, Dean Walton of Dubbo’s Walton Rural said.

OnSunday, about 1-5mm fell about the Dubbo-Wellington area, while at nearby Elong Elong there were some decent falls of up to 30mm in the rain band. There were also some good falls in the Mudgee district and some eastern parts of the south-west slopes.

More than 400mm fell on parts of the Mid-North Coast last week. Here, cattle are surrounded by water at Kempsey. Photo by Darcy Argue.

Dean Walton said there would have to be falls of over 55mm in the central-west to give farmers any real sign to start planting, and there didn’t appear to be anything of that magnitude for the next two weeks.

He said the gap down from the top to subsoil moisturewas between 20 to 30cm.

“After last year’s crops, everyone is gun shy at the moment,” he said.

The latest seasonal outlook from the Department of Primary Industries says “that the majority of the state is under Drought Watch or Drought Onset conditions”.

Seasonal conditions in NSW as of March 12.

“Areas particularly affected include the Hunter, Greater Sydney, Central Tablelands and Central West Local Land Services regions. Parts of Western, North West, central Riverina and northern South East regions are also in Drought Onset.”

The new seasonal data is available on the DPI droughthub.

Western Local Land Services team leader agriculture Gemma Turnbull said many western graziers had been feeding stock since last November, some even longer.

Cottonseed was popular for stock about Bourke. Any recentrain in the area had been “hit and miss”.

Sheep were being fed everything from licks to molassesand mulga scrub.

“A lot of it is to do with availability,” Ms Turnbull said. “We are urging people to look at their feedingoptions objectively. You have to compare it as in apples for apples.”

Meanwhile, as seasonal conditionsworsened in the central and western areas, one of the worst drought-hit areas in NSW, the area from Taree, through the Hunter down to the Illawarra, received a timely drenching.Some areas recorded more than 400mm last week.

The weakLa Nina event was ending to be followed by a neutral weather period that favoured neither wetter or drier conditions.

The Land

>>